Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Let's Sing Together

My son was awake between 10 and 2 last night. Then he got up at 6. Do you know how I got him to sleep finally? After rocking him, singing to him, holding him (for hours), Jim holding him (also for more than an hour), laying him down, putting him in the swing, etc. etc., I let him cry. I don't usually do that. It worked. It was painful (although by that time it was more annoying as it was preventing me from sleeping) and it worked. I think I'll write more about that later, as I'm still rather conflicted about it. And right now I'm a little foggy, as I'm sure you can understand.

Something good has come from this! At 1:30am, I was inspired to compose a song! We can all sing it together. Ready? And one and two and...

(to the tune of Brahm's Lullaby)

What is wrong?
What is wrong?
What is wrong, little baby?
Go to sleep
Please let me sleep
If I don't sleep soon, I'll die

Oh my God
I'm so tired
I could pass out right now
Oh my God
Please go to sleep
Or I fear I'll spontaneously combustlalalathatdoesn'trhymeIdon'tcareI'msofuckingtired

Excellent! I lost some of you at the end, there. It's a complicated word, so I expected that...practice, practice, practice people! In no time people around the world will be singing this sweet lullaby to their children and I will be famous!

11 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Of course I have zero experience as a parent, so I'm only thinking wishfully, but I think I would also let my child cry him/herself back to sleep. I don't remember being a baby, but I do remember being young (maybe 4,5?) and going to my parents' bedroom and whining that I couldn't sleep, and I wanted to sleep in their bed. They wouldn't let me, and just kept telling me to go back to bed. Eventually I did, and I learned that I could do it. Even though I wasn't a baby, I think the principle would still be the same. Although I guess babies want milk sometimes...but, I'll bet it's the attention they crave, more than the milk on most occasions.

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need sleep, that baby can cry.

That song rocked. I'm talking gold record here!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Tree said...

Thanks, Reagan
That guilt is awful. But I did, at the time, feel that letting him cry was the only thing left to do! I didn't mention this in my post, but I did feed Liam twice during the five hours. So that wasn't it. And he did fall asleep three times, but would wake as soon as we put him down.
Incidentally, he had a hard time going for his nap this morning, too.
Blah.
Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tree darling, I am so sorry you had a hard time sleeping. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be.

I think you did the right thing though. Letting him cry. Hard as it can be.

That song was freaking hilarious. You made me smile:) ThX:)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I'm giggling at that song... it is the mommies' anthem. :)

It's reassuring after the first few months, when you can better distinguish your baby's different cries. Once I knew the difference between "WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" (I'm hungry/poopy,) "WWAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" (I'm in pain,) and "WAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" (I'm overtired,) then I felt OK with letting her cry for a few minutes until she fell asleep.

See? Simple! (ha!)

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tree, it's Christine's sister, Jo, I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog. I've added you to my long list of blogs that I check everyday. Yes, I am slightly obsessed. Anyway, that song was hilarious!
Take care,
Jo Lamarche

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger TreeBob said...

Hey Jo!!
How are you, baby!? You should drop me an email and update. I'm so glad that you're liking school...Christine updated me on the weekend.
Glad you like the blog! I don't think I'll run out of material anytime soon!

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems like we both had sucky nights..our lives seem to be mimicking eachothers lol i was on the verge of a nervous breakdown last night so i stuffed ear plugs in my ears and just totally let my lil one cry it out psychotically...in his crib..finally i had some peace and passed out in no time..who knows how long it took gage but he DID get to sleep..but at least i didn't have to suffer threw it all anymore after finding the gift every mother should have..ear plugs..sometimes no matter how much you can possibly do for a baby NOTHING WORKS...just let them cry it out no matter how bad it makes you feel..

your sister.

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that song. I am sitting here giggling like I'm seven.

We've had to cross into the Land of Let 'Em Cry more times than I want to remember, and if it makes you feel better, our girls are still nice young people who say 'please' and 'thank you' and don't self-mutilate.

Yet.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Oh, lord, that song is funny. I am memorizing it and singing it to my imminent little sleep-depriver when he arrives weeping in April. Fun-ny.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the song Mom used to sing for me... the nightmares still havent stopped.

Jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home