Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Friday, December 08, 2006

Ghosts

I remember you
Moving my toys
Before I could walk
Making me scream for my mother
Before I had the words to tell
I remember you easing up from beside my mother’s bed
Your eyes huge, wet, reflective globes
I remember you on the wall
I remember you in the corner of my room, whispering wet whispers
I remember you beneath my bed
Above my bed, oh God
I remember you hovering there

I saw you
In the closet door
Standing
Dripping wet
Expectant

I saw you in the window of the abandoned house
Hospital
Jail

I saw you in the water
I saw you in the trees
I saw you in the shower
I saw you in that space between awake and asleep

I see you
There, behind my friend
You there behind my friend
Behind my friend
You
You
You and you and you and you and you
I see you there
Behind my father
Behind my son
Feel you there
Behind my back
Brushing up against my arm

I see you with the strangers walking by me in the mall
I see you seeing me seeing you
I hear you smell you taste you feel you

I have your heart attack
I suffer your stroke
I drown with you burn with you starve with you
Feel how you died

You
Behind the sick man in the elevator
All around him
Your fingers in his belly
Black and hateful fingers

They want to be like me
My students with their gifts
They yearn for what I see
And it makes me feel like crying

I see you everywhere

I see you and I’m quiet
I process it within
I see you and I’m terrified
You, holding my son…you, beneath him
So breathtakingly beautiful
And so indescribably horrifying

You, I see you, too
You who have never been human
You who are beyond beautiful
And you, too, who are dark

I see you there

I see you and I can’t make it stop

Make it stop make it stop

Don’t ever stop.

6 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger deepoet26 said...

Oh, such a powerful piece, Treesey. Such a burden for you to bear. And, as I was reading, one thing kept going through my mind - "my little girl can WRITE!"
Love
Dad

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh, you KNOW I loved this piece. Skating the surface of your inner life.

Yup. Your girl can write, Papa Treesey.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Me said...

It's a difficult line to want it to stop, but yet, not want it to stop, eh?

You can though... for the most part. You can 'turn off' your ability to see and sense. (It's actually what most adults do by the time they are about 7 or 8). I try to keep it 'off' too because I'm too busy and my life too crazy to deal with any of it. Plus, it always worried me when the children were so very small that somehow they might be hurt.

:)

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was amazing

gave me goosebumps

it felt so real

really strong emotion

it sounded like words i didn't know how to say

:)

 
At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful piece of writing..dare I say it ' haunting'...I know how you feel. My friend wants to make another excursion to a particularly haunted old jail which we last visited several yrs ago.
I'm all " yeah sure, great" but I remember last time and the waves of sorrow which so suddenly came over me. I remember crying for no reason , and seeing that woman, and wanting to run and hyperventilating and my friend having to hold me to still my beating heart.
I think I'll do some preperation this time :)
I'm glad I found your blog. Very few people discuss this kind of thing.

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home