Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Broken Doe

Just three seconds
And then she was behind me
Heart pounding so hard and so fast it felt like it may burst from her broken chest
Trying desperately to escape the nightmare
To get up and run
Like always
Run into the trees
To rise and bound
But pinned to the cold pavement by pain and fear
Pinned by her broken body

Uncomprehending
Confused
Hurt

She will not see her children again
She will not run into the woods on this misty grey morning
Only vaguely aware of the machines that hurry past her
She is not ready to let go
Struggling against the inevitability,
She fights
She wants only to run

Just three seconds
And I feel her there
My energy and hers
Touching
Hers desperate

Help me

Mine desperate

I want to, so badly…

And then she is behind me

6 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is ...words can't even begin to describe how that has touched me. If only someone would stop to ease her pain and offer her some sage or tobacco so she could move into the next life in peace.
I can't stand the sight of animals suffering, always the innocent who suffer.

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh words fail me.

this touches my heart.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm crying. That was beautiful. I'm sorry.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger The Mater said...

Tree, what a wrenching experience! I assume that you did not hit the deer but she ran past your car, one of many?

How tragic. Your poetry is as powerful as ever.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hit a deer once. It still sucks so badly. I couldn't do anything to help her. And I was the one who hurt her. I don't think any of us recovers after something like that.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger deepoet26 said...

I hit a little dog once, it was really awful - I ended up taking its collar off and turning it in to the cops, tears streaming down my face and mostly incoherent. A bad night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home