Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Thursday, March 09, 2006

If You're Happy And You Know It, Clap Your Hands!

Note the absence of clapping.

I'm having a hard time posting lately. I'm very busy, you see, with the obsessing and whatnot. The good news on that front is that I will be going to the clinic tomorrow to ask for drugs. I talked with my Psychologist (who, incidentally, cannot prescribe medication. I learned that in first year Psychology, which I got an A+ in, and apparently have some selective retention going on) about it and she agrees; my level of anxiety is just too high to be able to focus on the behavioral and cognitive stuff she has me trying out.

The relief I felt after she said that was immense. Somebody understands! WOO!
In other news, Caleb has finally decided that he's no longer afraid to walk to school and back. So, he's been walking to school in the morning and coming home for lunch. It's been a joy and a wonderful way to break up the monotony of the day. I'm proud of him, but at the same time, my heart hurts just a little watching him run down the street, his backpack bobbing violently on his shoulders and a huge, proud smile on his face. He usually stays at the school daycare, and will again once I return to work, but for now he has this new freedom, and with it, a new sense of accomplishment. I'm so proud of him!

I am hesitant to write this next bit, because if I do, I may be jinxing things. But for you, I shall write! Why? Because of the love. The love for you!

*Ahem*

The situation with the Sleepless Wonder is improving.

There! I said it! I did get Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and although it hasn't really taught me anything new, it has reinforced my resolve to make some changes, and prompted Jim and I to take action. So, for the last 5 days, we've been putting Liam in his crib, patting him on his downy blonde head, and leaving. Two minutes (and lots of screaming) later, we go in and pop his soother back in. Some more head-patting and some whispered sweet words and we leave again. Each day, we have to do this less. He cries less. And he sleeps longer. He's still waking up twice a night, and 4am still seems like a great time to start the day to him, but...things are better. And that's all I wanted!

Well he's tired right now so I'll try for the first nap. But let me leave you with some pictures! Ok!



Who the heck is holding me?



Oh, it's Caleb! I love Caleb!

7 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for making some progress with the sleeping! Getting a sleeping routine set up that's acceptable to both baby and parents is one of the hardest parts of parenting during the first year. (For ME, anyway). I'm glad you're making some progress with minimum trauma to you or Liam.

Hope the clinic visit goes well today.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well done you ... I am very proud of you for discussing with your therapist what needs to be done. (Sorry, and that wasn't meant to sound as hideously patronising as it does!!!)

And yay to Liam who will soon be known as the Super Sleeper!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

YAY for having someone who understands, for feeling that wonderful relief, for Caleb walking to school and for better sleeping at night! YAY's all around. :)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Di said...

beautiful, beautiful boys

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your psychologist agreed about the meds. Sounds like progress!

Caleb and Liam are so adorable. Good job on them for their progress!

Jill xoxo

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger sc@vp said...

Thank GOODNESS. I was a little upset with that woman for addressing all of the things that FULLY DID NOT SEEM TO BE THE PROBLEM.

I'm SO knocking on wood.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Lauri said...

Sounds like things are going well and definitely on an upturn there in Crazy Land! Let me know how the meds work...and don't give up if this first go round doesn't seem to be doing anything after the first couple of months...sometimes what works for one person does not work on another, and you have to "play around" a little bit. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home