Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Monday, March 06, 2006

Lots O' Stuff

Well I hope you had a lovely weekend. Mine was busy, but fun. Our friends Jill and Phil brought 6-week olf Sasha (did you know that's short for Alexandre? Did you? Is that cool or what?) to meet us on Saturday. Amazing how, in just a few months, the feeling of holding such a tiny baby became nearly forgotten to me. There's nothing like that weight in your arms...anyhoo, he was delicious, as were his parents. Jim made some awesome pasta for dinner and I made a rather exemplary strawberry shortcake for dessert. That was delicious too.
All in all, a rather edible time.

Those first baby smiles are so precious:

Caleb is back in school today, and Aidan is in daycare so it's just Liam and I. Liam, who thought it fitting that I only sleep for a few hours last night. Liam, who is joyfully rocking back and forth on all fours right now and saying, "aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!" with exuberance. Liam, who smells like heaven and greets me with a whole-body hug and a wet kiss on the jaw whenever I pick him up. Sleep or no, the child holds a very large portion of my heart.

So, today is Monday, and for those of you who've been following along, it's therapy night. Unfortunately, the cogs and wheels inside my head have been turning, and I think that if my therapist doesn't do an excellent job of convincing me tonight, I will lose my faith in her plan. This whole focus on getting over my emetophobia is fine and dandy...but isn't it treating the symptom rather than the problem? I mean sure, the phobia affects my life, but WHY do I suffer with it in the first place? Why can I barely make it through the grocery store because I'm panicking so badly that I fear I will pass out? HEY! I know! Because I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder! And anxiety and panic disorder! And right now, for one reason or another, they're worse than usual.

Now is it just me or shouldn't we be treating the disorders? The underlying causes of the symptoms? I mean, I am paying this woman some serious coin. Seriously folks, how is throwing up going to help me?

I must say that exercising is helping me. In the past, exercise and I have never been friends. I would watch my friends take their walks and bounce off to the gym (*shudder*) on thier lunch hours and console myself with a very convincing "exercise is for CHUMPS!" attitude. Which is why I'm so surprised that I look forward to exercising each day. I love my walks. It gives my mind time to be blank and clean, and gives me a chance to get out and breathe the air. And afterwards I feel that tired feeling I have always loathed...but now I feel proud. My sore legs are like an accomplishment. Something I'm doing for me. I think it's far too early to know whether it's going to help in the way my therapist wants it to help, but it is helping in other ways.

So what would you do? Would you voice your concerns? Would you go armed with internet information or just with logic and smarts? Hmmm?

Oh! Family Night on Friday was fun. We went out for dinner and the kids were well-behaved and charming. We are loving Family Night! Here is the problem: Family Night is freaking expensive. So, if you have ideas for Inexpensive Family Night, I am all ears!

9 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you're totally right, you need to go beyond just addressing how the OCD and anxiety are manifesting. She's pretty big on behavioral conditioning, it sounds like. Why is she against medication? I hope you bring it up with her tonight (and let us know how it goes).

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh, you called him Sasha. I'm so excited...only I have written it down so far!

And your shortcake was not rather exemplary, it was kick-ass! I rarely pig out on two helpings of dessert...but I am breastfeeding (great excuse for every indulgence!).

Family night, hunh. For less expensive ideas, how about making a fun meal at home but eating it in a different area, like a picnic. In the summer, outdoors at a park would work but in the winter, how about downstairs with Jeff or upstairs in the bedrooms followed by a game? You could do somethin' fun like pizza.

Jill

Jill

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger sc@vp said...

In my family (the one I grew up in, not the one I'm currently trying to raise) we had Friday Family Nights too! We played board games or dice games or watched movies together. (Although we didn't own a TV so we had to borrow a TV and rent a VCR with our movie from the movie store - can you BELIEVE THAT?!) And that's the best I can do for cheap family nights.

I LOVE Sasha/Alexander.

Voice your concerns (definitely!) but I would try to keep the Internet out of it. my humble opinion only ...

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jennboree said...

I would bring up any and all questions, however obscene or absurd they may seem to you. You ARE paying her to listen, afterall.

Sasha is so CUTE! I had no idea it had any relation to Alexandre. Look at that. Learned something new!

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you were up and blogging at 4.33 am?! Or maybe it's the time difference thing and you weren't up at 4.33am and I'm talking crap.

Tell your therapist everything that's concerning you. EVERYTHING! Every little itty bit you can think of that bothers you, niggles you or scares the crap out of you! EVERYTHING! You need to have complete faith in her and I guess you can't have that until you know where she's going with all this. So that's what I think ... for what it's worth!

And oooooooh, small babies. I am getting seriously broody.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Yup, tell your therapist everything. And if what is said in response doesn't jive with you, I'd seriously consider jumping ship.

And for Family Night -- board games? Crafts? Free Swim night at the Y?

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Odd Mix said...

I think you are right about treating the disorder, rather than one (seemingly) relatively minor symptom. I had a therapist do that to me once - she got fixated on a particular idea of hers and lost track of me. Grrrr.

Family night ideas:
Home made mini pizzas. Either make dough or use pita bread. Get a variety of toppings and everyone (except Liam) gets to top thier own. Eat in front of a fun movie.

Game night. Find a game that both Caleb and Aidan can enjoy (charades, cadoo, clue, etc.) Team up with mom and dad.

Picnic. I like this idea. Picnics in the winter can be fun if you are bundled up, and the novelty makes it exciting for the kids. Sometimes we have a picnic on the living room floor.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no suggestions - and I imagine with more than ONE it's hella expensivo... BUT fun and healthy - all the same.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hell yes - call your therapist on this. Tell her what you're thinking. It's her job to explain her methodology to you.

Family fun night - my kids love family reading night. We turn off the tv, pull out the old favorites and some new ones, and just read and read over yummy snacks like grapes and popcorn. Even (especially!) the 11 year old loves to be read to, and she has read the Harry Potter books herself.

I know it sounds so sickenly wholesome and a long way from my days of pot-smoking, experimental sex and hair band rock but these little people love this activity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home