Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Saturday, May 13, 2006

For Cancerbaby

Some would say I did not know you

I read your words
Profound, inspirational, beautiful
I laughed

There were tears, too
Couldn’t help but feel your pain
Unfair

You were dying
From the first time I found you
Slowly

Sometimes you felt better
Stopped dying for a little while
Hopeful

Before it all
You so much wanted a baby
Wanted your own little life to raise
Ached for a small being to share with
To love, to live for
Would have given anything for it.
Oh, that child who never was
The one you dreamed of and loved so fiercely
Would have been the luckiest child
On earth

But cancer ate that dream
Stole it all away from you and from the man you loved
Why?

Still, you dreamed
You fought and raged against it
True hero

Your friend
Started writing in your stead
Missing

The silence
Ominous, telling, undeniable
We knew

We prayed
Thought, meditated, cried
For you

You died
Somehow, you’re gone forever from us
And I never saw your face

But I know
You were beautiful
Smart
Strong
Loving
Hoping
Dreaming
Beautiful
Beautiful
Beautiful
And I love you
Jessica

6 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

I only learned of Jessica and her blog earlier this week, but I am deeply saddened that the world has lost this soul. What you have written is beautiful. A beautiful tribute to someone who lost her life far, far too early.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Oh my God. I wasn't prepared for that. I have no words, just lots of tears...

Your poem is beautiful, Tree.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger The Mater said...

"We are not human beings trying to be spiritual. We are spiritual beings trying to be human." Jacquelyn Small

She was, indeed, beautiful and courageous and, now, free. You have honored her well.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cancerbaby's story is a beautiful tragedy and she will live on forever in the hearts of people like you.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger sc@vp said...

thanks for that tree

(I've been avoiding her site because I just couldn't stand it anymore. I don't know what to do with all of that sorrow.)

thanks for the mater, too: the thought of her being free is the only thing that makes it even slightly bear-able.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Me said...

I found Jessica and her blog this past week... your poem says it all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home