Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Back At Work

Five Good Things About Returning To Work:
-Adult conversation is nice!
-You pretty much have to look half-decent, so shopping is a must!
-You get scheduled breaks.
-You get to eat lunch, like, EVERY DAY!
-If you have to pee, you can go to the bathroom without a young child or two (or three) accompanying you.

Five Not-So-Good Things About Returning To Work:
-The thing about having to look half-decent.
-Being too exhausted at the end of the day to play with your kids.
-Picking your kids up from daycare and learning that the baby has had a fever all day and has been sleeping all day and puked all over the caregiver just before you got there.
-Taking your baby to daycare the next morning because you have to go to work. And he still has a fever. And doesn’t feel good. And needs his Mommy.
And cries piteously as you hand him over and walk out the door.
Arms outstretched, tears streaming down his cheeks.
-The whole thing where your heart breaks into a billion pieces as you get into the car and drive away.

Shit.

12 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Focus on the positive...those scheduled breaks! the pivate bathroom trips!

I hope the baby is better soon and that the not-so-good things ease away swiftly.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no. Poor little guy, and poor mama, too. Hang in there like the orange kitten in that 1980s poster!

And no guilt on those private bathroom trips. You've got to get your joy where you can.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Poor both of you. God, what can I say. I was walking to work one early morning way back when and saw a mom carrying her toddler into daycare. They were both crying and the mom was saying, "I'm so sorry baby, I'm so sorry," over and over.

I broke down right there. It's the hardest thing. But there will also be many, many good days. Hang on.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Odd Mix said...

I am so sorry! I can only imagine how hard that must be.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger MB said...

God I hate that. Makes me cry everytime... So sorry!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's hard. I know. You'll get used to it. Hang in there.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jennboree said...

Man, now if only you could take a private bath at work too.

I'm sorry about Liam being sick. But he won't be like that every day and just look at it as a rough initiation back to work. Life is unpredictable, as you well know, and you'll all learn to adjust to each bump in the road.

Chin up, Tree. You're still the best mommy ever!

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man....that stinks. I hope he is feeling some better. I know that has to be terrible to leave him when he's not feeling well. Poor him and Poor you. Sending hugs and get well vibes.
Lisa S.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger The Mater said...

Tree, you've got a lot on your plate right now :>( Poor Liam and poor momma too! Be well.

It's almost as if the little ones have to build up their immunity when first exposed to daycare and lots of other kids.

Here's to better days :>)

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Mrs. Why said...

Heartwrenching. I feel for you Tree. Liam knows you love him, and he's in good hands.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first 6 months my youngest was in daycare were the WORST. The kid caught everything that came down the pike.

At one point I had him at the doctor (again!) and asked if I should just quit my job (We couldn't afford it, but I woulda done it).

He said we could have 6 months of the sickies now or 6 months of it when he start school. At that point we were 4 months into it and I (and my pocketbook) decided we could take two more months.

But, MAN. All that to say, I feel ya sis.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Focus on the good things.... oh, how I revel in getting to pee ALONE and WHEN I NEED TO on those days I work. Liam will adjust, he truly will, and you will too. That first week or so back is the toughest. You can do this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home