Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Friday, May 05, 2006

Ah, The Things You See At Work...

Strange stranger
Sits alone
In a government building walkway
Gazing at the passers-by

He’s there most days

Impossible
Not to notice
The hunger of the man
Each time he’s there, he eats

And invites you to comment

Carefully displayed
Are his choices of food du jour
A two-litre bottle of cheap soda
And a large bag of chips

Those are always there

Some days
There is a box of snack cakes
A club pack of puddings
Mega pack of rosettes

He works his way through them

Across from him
A convenience store
Whose workers report that he desires
Attention

He’s told them so

So hungry
He eats and eats
Desperately trying to meet the eyes of onlookers
Who smirk and giggle

And miss the hunger in his eyes

I wonder
Where he is
When he’s not here
Trying to stuff food into that emptiness

Who does he eat with at home?

He hopes
Someone will talk to him
Acknowledge him
Ask him why he does it

Reaching

Strange stranger
So well known
Alone
Clogging his arteries for our viewing pleasure

Drinking soda from champagne flutes

5 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so true. I have seen the man! That boy can eat.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Me said...

I obviously haven't seen him, as I don't live there... but it was neat to read him in this post. I loved it.

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a moment I thought this was a Friday ghost tale, and I was completely amazed that a ghost would show you all that snack food. Seriously. Then I realized that the poor guy is the real deal, and oh, that's so very sad. I can just picture him. Does he ever say anything?

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Humans are so interesting.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger trixyblues78 said...

The food guy, I've seen him dozens and dozens of times! I wonder the same things Tree. I feel for him, and his atteries. I've always wanted to go talk to him, but I've never been able to muster the courage. Thank you for the reminder...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home