Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Friday, July 28, 2006

WHAT IS POUTINE?!?

Really?
Oh, ye unfortunate souls! My heart bleeds for thee!
I'll tell you what. You come on over to my house and I'll serve you up a lovely plate of poutine. Or, if you like, we can visit one of the six local poutine stands.
Quebec = abundant poutine. McDonald's has poutine here. Burger King, too. And Wendy's. And it's one of the main reasons I go to the movies.
I'll describe it, but I want you to keep in mind that the description doesn't do it justice at all!
Pile a whole bunch of french fries on a plate (or a styrofoam container if you're frequenting one of your local poutine stands!). Then, generously cover the fries with cheese curds. Sometimes, mozzarella is used, but it doesn't compare to the curds, dudes. Smother in gravy.
YUM.
It's good for the soul.

The movie was okay. The company was lovely. Fun was had. Poutine was consumed. It was a good night.

Now, it's family night, and I must be off. All of you should go out and try some poutine. You'll thank me for it.

But your thighs won't!

11 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger sc@vp said...

I prefer my fries covered in mayo. Cheese curds & gravy isn't fattening enough for me.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I've gotta say it doesn't sound good. But I'll take your word for it.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger The Mater said...

So ... you eat this instead of popcorn at the movies?!

I think I'll stick to a Philly cheese steak or soft pretzel :>)

Glad you enjoyed your night out though.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Lynanne said...

Yikes, my arteries are hardening just reading this!

But fresh squeaky cheese curds - mmmmm!!! (the other day, a friend of mine from Alabama told me she didn't know that fresh curds squeak - tragedy!) I love living in the Midwest :)

I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your evening out. You'll have to make it a regularly scheduled event. Make sure you have friends on standby for emergencies also :)

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been down with poutine. Now, fries dipped in McDonald's sweet n' sour sauce? Mmmmm.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger jimbuff said...

Here in Labrador we also have poutine but we also have a dish called "the heat attack platter" - it is poutine with ground beef and onions added to it. It is the best - poutine on steroids!!

Jim

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Lauri said...

Curds? Are you kidding me? Isn't called a "curd" because it's already gone bad??? *gag*

Excuse me...I'll be back later...lol!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

I found you while blog-hopping.

Poutine? Heavenly! Then again, I live in the same province as you, so that may have something to do with it. :-)

Nice to meet you.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Tree said...

Oh my. My oh my oh my.
Cheese curds, dear Laurie, are actually the freshest cheese EVER!
In fact, that's why they aren't available everywhere...because they are best eaten within hours of being made (or divinely created, whichever works for you...), you can only get them in a few places. Places that have cheese-making uh...plants. (?) Factories. (?)
Anyhoo, you can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_curds
And don't knock it 'til you try it!
YUM!
ps: hi, Shan! I'm so sorry we'll miss your visit home! I'm so toying with the idea of flying home all by myself just for a couple days to meet your Jessica and see you!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That? Is weird.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any poutine to be found within 1,000 miles of my neck of the woods.

Tell ya what, I'll trade you some nopales (cactus, yummy!) for your cheese curd french fry stuff.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David talks about poutine all the time! At first I thought it was a French-Canadian prostitute he frequented as a boy! But no! Fries!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home