Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Monday, January 16, 2006

Liam Fits In So Well

Here is what I remember of last night:
10:30: Go to bed
1:30: Liam is awake.
1:30 - 4:50: Feed Liam twice, hold him, put him in his bed six times or so, fetch him again when he freaks out, lather, rinse, repeat.
4:50: Beg Jim to take Liam.
4:50 - 6:00: Sleep in 10-minute spurts, waking each time Jim tries to put Liam down.
6:00: Liam's been asleep for a little while, and Jim goes to take a shower. Liam starts to fuss as soon as the door clicks into place, and tears spring to my eyes. I lay there, trying to savour the warmth of the covers, until his fussing escalates.
6:04: Take Baby out of his bed and hold him against me. We hold on to each other, foreheads pressed together, and I say, "We're in this together, huh?" Liam reaches up in the dark and inserts a finger into my nostril. Excited at finding something new to do, he bounces in my lap and breathes rapidly.

I barely had the energy to extract his fat little digit from my nose, but I laughed as I did it.

11 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Jennboree said...

Amazing what we give up for the ones we love. Who needs sleep when we can get pudgy fingers gleefully shoved up our nose?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger TreeBob said...

He never shoves any appendages up my nose! :(

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Sorry for your rough night, Tree! Funny how mothers can survive for so long on cuddles instead of sleep, huh? Sweet boy.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Beth Fish said...

I demand to know what you were doing in my bedroom this weekend! That was us too, exactly. Oh! Pointer! I have found that if I put Mia in bed next to me and let her yank huge handfuls of my hair right out of my head, it buys me another two to three minutes of pretending to be asleep. Try it.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

The things we do for love ....
Just remember, that it will get easier.
He's a beautiful child, enjoy your cuddles.
Take care
Meow

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Tree said...

:)
Thanks all for the encouragement. Beth, I'm going to try the fistful of hair thing. I lost so much after I had him; what's a bit more? In the name of sleep, I'll try anything!

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tree,
I feel your pain, eventhough I do not have an infant sticking their sharp fingernails into my nostrils. I am still up, still can't sleep. This is the 7th or so night in a row. I know it's much worse for you. How do you do it? You are my hero.
JO

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I guess I would feel better if there were someone to cuddle with. :(
JO

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Tree said...

Jo,
You're not the only one with insomnia; Jen, Jeff and I have it, and so do others I know. Sucks, eh? Must be the time of year or something.
I'll snuggle with you!
;)
I'll send you some good sleepy energy, 'k?

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger sc@vp said...

My 3YO is sick. Coughing her raggedy self all over the house. And asking for MILK to drink every 3 seconds. MILK?! Isn't that the worst thing for making phlegm? sigh.

I know it's not the same but ... just wanted to try to make you feel like you're not in it alone.

sigh.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Lauri said...

I can still feel your pain...and lack of sleep. I hope you get a good night's rest soon!

And although I don't have anyone sticking their fingers up my nose anymore, last Thursday, as Claire and I were walking through a restaurant to meet some friends, she loudly announced, "Mommy, I promise not to eat my boogers here!"

The fascination never ends!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home