Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Selective Reception

So, I'm loving the cloth diapers. Go figure. This is actually my second attempt at cloth diapering; the first try was a miserable failure, mostly because the diapers were so freaking bulky that my child (whose size doubled with the diapers on...I swear they covered him from mid-thigh to nipple) could not bend at the middle.
So I sold those mofos on eBay. Apparently, many parents adore them. I will not name names, but they were from a company whose name begins with Mother. And ends in Ease. That's all I'll say about the name. I've heard wonderful things about them, but they just didn't work for us.
But these do:

Before you ask, yes, those are SpongeBob socks on my infant son.

They're Fuzzi Bunz and I love them. They're so comfortable on him; it's like putting another layer of soft clothes on him instead of an uncomfortable diaper. And they're pretty! I got blue, and green! I mean sage! And butter yellow! And they're easy to wash, too, which is a great relief. There is one challenge, and that is the never-ending and multi-faceted challenge of poop. Poop in disposable diapers is fine - you can fold it up and throw it away. But poop in a cloth diaper is more...complex. I won't go into details, but there is wiping involved. Scraping. Soaking. Bad smells, people.

Anyhoo.

Jim's working from home today, and he often listens to music with his headphones as he works. Here's a snippet of our morning:

Me: Jim! Look at Liam! He's all happy that he rolled over.

Jim is unresponsive.

Me: Jim! Hon? HEY!!!

Jim: (Removing one of the earpieces) What?

Me: Ugh you missed it.

Jim: (Replacing the earpiece) I can't hear you, you know.

Me: I could be saying something important.

Jim is unresponsive.

Me: I could be telling you vital information!

Jim is unresponsive.

Me: I could be saying I want to have sex with you!

Jim: What? Really?

Me: Hey! How'd you do that?

Jim: Key words, Tree. Key words.

7 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger TreeBob said...

ummm sex...

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Jennboree said...

Selective hearing. All men have it. They hear nothing except even the most obscure references to sex or food.

Cloth diapers. Nooooo thanks. I'll just deal with all the poopiness that comes with training pants.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger sc@vp said...

Or sex AND food.

I find, in order to get C's attention so I can say something IMPORTANT to him, it's imperative to use phrases such as:
"wanna rub up against each other while eating chili?"

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Tree said...

Hahahaha, s, that was hilarious!

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmm chili...

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You still have sex? I am filled with envy :)

The cloth nappies you can keep though...!!

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for using cloth diapers! Smart, economical, and reliable! I did cloth with my kids and would do it again.

Barb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home