Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Saturday, December 31, 2005

...and a Happy New Year!

The kids are watching A Christmas Story as I type. Remember that one? Caleb is a bit perplexed by it. He didn't understand why the kid covets the rifle. Jeff explained that it's the Playstation of the 40's. Caleb gets it now. He also didn't understand Ralphie's reference to his father's prized, glowing leg lamp as "electric sex". I am ashamed to say that Jim and I dodged his questions about that reference by saying it was...er..."complicated". We've all enjoyed Caleb's comments about Ralph's "imaginating". Ah, the holidays. So fun.
So have I mentioned that we are vegetarians now? Yes. Perhaps I haven't, as the whole project has been balanced rather perilously on the tightrope of my husband's doubt. Happily, it is several weeks later, and all is going well! We've adjusted our diets and made certain that we're not endangering our health (easier than we thought), and that the missing meat protein is being adequately replaced by other, less dead-animal type protein (also much easier than we thought). Oh! And the kids! They love the veggie dogs. I honestly think that's what sealed it for Jim: Caleb declaring, "Hey! These are better than the other hot dogs!" Aidan thought so, too, until we told him they were made of vegetables.
Of course, we ate turkey on Christmas.
Just a few tips for burgeoning vegetarians in the making:
-The tuscan chicken pizza from Pizza Pizza that is SO awesome that it's made you actually like going to Pizza Pizza? NOT so good without the chicken.
-Beans ARE the magical fruit. My family is particularly magical lately.
-Tim Horton's veggie sandwiches are exemplary when compared with other fast food veggie sandwiches. Slap 'em on a croissant and add some swiss cheese, and they're downright satisfying.
I feel better, both physically and mentally. I feel...lighter! And I am lighter, too! My aunt called me "skinny" the other day! Imagine!
Well, I guess it's time for New Year's Resolutions again. Crap. I have a tough one this year. I resolve, resolutely and resignedly, to answer the phone when it rings. Most of the time. Yes! This means I'll have to re-train myself to hear the ring. It also means that I'll have to convince myself that answering the phone is possible when I'm doing something else. See, right now, the phone is dead last on my priority list. If I'm doing something else, it is harshly ignored. Oh, and I'm ALWAYS doing something else. Baby's hungry? Wants to be held? Dinner's cooking? I'm sitting on the couch staring into space? The ring goes unheard. In my defence, I must tell you that I regularly check the display to see if anyone's called, and I delight at listening to messages. I will most likely not return them, though. Because the only thing more difficult than picking up the phone to answer it is picking up the phone to actually CALL somebody. A daunting task. One which is most definitely not included in this year's resolution. If this whole phone-answering business goes well, I may resolve to return messages next year. But, just to be clear, the whole realm of actually calling someone without provocation...just to (ack!) chat (ew!) may be several years off.
While my progress may seem insignificant (and perhaps incredibly odd) to some, I feel quite good about my intentions.
That said, I would like to say Happy New Year to you all. May it be filled with laughter and light. And may you not feel it necessary to call me, especially if you are just testing my new resolve to answer the phone. Because that would just be cruel, people!

6 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger sc@vp said...

* I'm not even sure *I* understand the phrase "electric sex". Obviously wise parents all over the world will dodge that one.

* Good luck with the vegetarian thing. BIG hunting family, mine. I'll probably inherit a couple of guns and some dead antler horns when my grandparents kick off ... So, um, we're still eating meat. And lots of it ...

*LOVE that you ate turkey at Christmas. HA HA HA!! Vegetarian Smedgatarian.

*Magical Family: So great. I find sugar in large quantities makes my family wonderfully magical ... Just don't inhale.

*Good thing we only communicate by blog ...

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Tree said...

Haha my family is so magical that I feel tempted to warn the neighbors not to light thier cigarettes to close to the door. How would one say that in french?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

ah! i don't answer the phone either! or call people! EVER!

my husband, on the other hand, often calls people while he is in his "office." i think that shows way too much interest in the phone...

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Tree said...

No way, Lisa!
If you have any tips or awesome recipes, I'd love to hear them!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I am going to see how it goes for you with the telephone thing... and maybe try that myself NEXT year. I'm just not ready yet.

Happy Happy New Year to you!!!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Tree said...

Shan! Nice surprise to see your comment...how's the belly?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home