Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I Love You, Jen

Eve has inspired me to write about Jen, my sister.
Jen's two years younger than me and is my bestest friend. Growing up, our sole purpose in life was to make each other laugh. And to torment my brother (and later to make him laugh, too). Jen gets me like nobody else does, even though we're very different in some very fundamental ways. It's always her I call when I'm upset or when I'm happy. When nobody else makes me feel like I'm understood (Jim does try very hard!), I can always go to her.
When we were little, we loved to dance. We made up dance routines to Michael Jackson's Beat It (um, does that title make anyone else cringe? Or laugh? Or both?), and frequently entertained neighbours and passers-by by waltzing across the front yard, often falling down, a heap of giggles. One time we spent hours doing headstands on Jen's bed against the wall. I threw up seven times the next day. Interestingly, it was the last time I threw up for 17 years.
We've been through so much together - a mentally ill father, divorce, an eating disorder...we've shared some problems and helped each other through others. When she made some decisions as a teenager that scared me, I lost it. We didn't talk for two years.
Now, I've learned to appreciate our differences. We don't fight anymore. Sometimes we shake our heads at each other, but we always respect each other. It's not worth it to fight.
Our similarities are worth noting, too. Physically, we are eerily similar. We both have scoliosis, hiatus hernias, severe reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and various mental dysfunctions, like anxiety and panic disorder, and the always entertaining obsessive compulsive disorder. We're both emetophobes, too. And we both have a totally goofy sense of humour. Jen can make me nearly pee my pants just by pulling a face. Or cry just by telling me I'm a good mother.
I'm so thankful for you, sister. You drive me crazy. You make me laugh. You touch my heart with your generosity and baffle me with your all-or-nothing attitude. I feel lucky to be loved by you. And you know what? If, someday, you decide you don't love me anymore...or you make some decision I can't agree with? If you move far away? If you get a sex change or become a nun? If you lose your sense of humour...your drive...your self? I will still love you. You will have that, always. That is my promise to you.

6 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I feel the same way! (of course!)

What would we DO without our siblings???

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Tree said...

Eek, I don't know what I'd do without my sibs!
Let's not think about it. Better that way.
:)

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh tree shtop..u's gonna make me cry lol
your very sweet..and my best friend.. ok my only friend other then ryan jeff and gage lol
but still my bestest friend ever!!!!!! and i think maybe we're twins since we share the same brains and insides..with all those silly problems..we're identicle twins born a few years apart. hows that! wow!!! LOL

thanks :)
jen

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Tree said...

Hi Lisa,
Wow...I'm sorry about your brother! But at least you can say that you've done all you can do! Feel good about that!
Haha you wish your son had a brother? I wish my three boys could have a sister!
:)

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Lauri said...

Awww! That is so great! But, it's reading and hearing about things like that that make me wish I had a sister.

When I was growing up, I was glad I was the only girl...got more attention that way! :) But now that I'm all grown up and have my own kids (2 girls and a boy) I wish I had one. You and Jen are very lucky, Tree!
Lauri

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Tree said...

Lauri,
I'll be your sister!
Even better, I'll be your sistah!
Shazam.
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home