Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Friday, January 05, 2007

In Which I Embarrass Myself

All my life, I've done this thing. I have interviews with myself. Well, I often invent the interviewers, but that's not the important part. The important part is my part as the interviewee.

I don't know why I do it. I can't recall when it started, though I remember doing it as early as I remember talking.

I do know that I continue to do it. Sometimes it's fun. Often, it's comforting. Many times, it's to stave off boredom, which seems to plague me far too easily.

The topics vary. Truly, it depends on the location and circumstances during which the interview takes place. When I'm *ahem* on the toilet, I often interview myself about shampoo or styling techniques for excessively frizzy hair. Sometimes, if the interview is in the bathroom (they often are), I give classes on hygiene skills or tell about my personal experiences with constipation. If the interview is in bed, I'll talk about dreams. Or goals. Or about how hard it is to keep up with the laundry.

When I was in the hospital, pregnant with Aidan and in premature labour, scared out of my mind (literally! haha!), I did interviews about the dangers of premature birth. I did personal documentaries on my experiences with difficult pregnancies. I interviewed about mental health, about anxiety and panic...about fate, and about God.

I am an expert in every interview I give. It's a benefit of being both the interviewer and the interviewee. I'm telling you, I've often wished that there is some universal scribe that is recording all of these interviews of mine, because this is some good shit. Useful! Entertaining!

Now. Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one who does this. Tell me. And yes, you may tell me you think I'm crazy.

That's okay, too.

7 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not the only one! Been interviewing myself for years.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say that I have interviewed myself, but it is a darn good idea. I have a little boredom to stave off too. However, with my child, when I talk to her, sometimes I pretend that I am on t.v. or some demo video and she is the audience. This makes me more animated(hopefully not as crazy as Barney). For example, when I am getting ready for the day and she is watching, I demo how to wash my face, brush my teeth, etc with lots of description and lots of flare.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger BraveandCrazy said...

I

cannot

stop

laughing :P:)

I love you,

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Martha said...

I love finding out I'm not the only one who does things like this!

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, heck yeah! I frequently have imaginary conversations. It might be with people I know or people I don't (i.e., Oprah - where is the embarrassed emoticon when you need it?). I too tend to it when I'm bored or when I actually have a moment to myself.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm usually in an imaginary courtroom explaining myself. Probably a massive persecution complex hehe.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee! this made me laugh so hard! i don't interview myself, but i have huge, long conversations with myself--usually directed at someone who is annoying or frustrating me. it's my way of venting without going completely OFF on the person when i actually see him/her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home