Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Review

The Coldplay concert was amazing. They did a wonderful job. They did all my favorite songs; Clocks, Politik, Don't Panic, Fix You...the light show was incredible. The sound was awesome; it beat in my chest and made me breathe fast. Chris Martin was gorgeous, of course, and the huge screen behind the stage added so much to the show. For those of us in the nosebleed seats, the live video of the group shown on the screen was a blessing.
I danced in my seat from start to finish and I sung so loud I was hoarse.
So you'll understand why I had a hard time describing why I felt disappointed as we left.
I think the reason I love Coldplay so much is because they make me feel. I listen to their music and I ache inside. I feel a little sad, or happy...or sometimes enlightened. The lyrics are beautiful and Martin's voice adds life to them; describes them...makes them something more. These songs speak to me. The words take hold:

From Clocks:
Come out upon my seas,
Cursed missed opportunities
Am I a part of the cure
Or am I part of the disease, singing

From Fix You:
And high up above or down below
When you’re too in love to let it go
But if you never try you’ll never know
Just what you’re worth

From Talk:
Are you lost or incomplete
Do you feel like a puzzle
You can’t find your missing piece
Tell me how you feel
Well, I feel like they’re talking in a language I don’t speak
And they’re talking it to me

There's something in every one of their songs that gets to me like that. It's poetry and it's truth.
On Friday night, the group did their job very well. They poured their energy into it, made jokes and included us in the songs. But I didn't feel anything. Jim's right; I imagine when you're on tour, it becomes sort of monotonous and that, even if you're doing a great job, it is a job. And you want to get through it and then go home (especially if you have a pregnant wife and young child, I imagine). I just didn't feel like they loved what they were doing.
Who knows, maybe my expectations were to high. Or maybe I was too far away from the stage to really tell.
Last year, when I saw Jethro Tull, I was blown away and changed by the show. Ian Anderson was incredible; he poured himself into each song like his life was woven into it, and we all felt that. He played that flute like it was an extension of himself, and sung not with his throat, but with his heart. He shared that music with everyone listening so that we could feel it too, and told the stories behind the songs.
I love Coldplay, and my opinion of them hasn't changed a bit! Everyone loved the concert Friday night, and I did too. They were amazing. I just don't think they had as good a time as everyone else did.
That said, I'd still jump Chris Martin's bones in a flash if the opportunity presented itself.
It's ok!
He's on my list!

8 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger sc@vp said...

I am ridiculously jealous of you right now. Even if it wasn't mind-blowing.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Jennboree said...

Oh yeah, he's on my list too. Though he'd have to wash his hands. Those symbols he has would be too distracting.

How'd you do away from Liam? Just smother him in kisses as soon as you could?

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger TreeBob said...

Ooooh it was so hard being away from Liam. I couldn't think about him; it hurt!
All the way back to get him I was anxious...I couldn't wait to see him. But he was well taken care of...and ultimately...fine!
We're going to the movies next weekend!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Tree said...

oops. My husband was signed in. That was me...

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Coldplay is just like that - a little, shall we say, cold.

The Scientist is my favorite.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Did they play "What If"? Man, that song gets me every time.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Tree said...

No, they didn't play What If, but I love that one, too!

What If

What if there was no light
Nothing wrong, nothing right
What if there was no time
And no reason or rhyme
What if you should decide
That you don't want me there by your side
That you don't want me there in your life

What if I got it wrong
And no poem or song
Could put right what I got wrong
Or make you feel I belong
What if you should decide
That you don't want me there by your side
That you don't want me there in your life

Refr:
Oooh, that's right
Let's take a break, try to put it aside
Oooh, that's right
I can't ignore it if you won't even try
Oooh, that's right

When every step that you take
Can be your biggest mistake
And it could bend or it could break
Well that's just the risk that you take
What if you should decide
That you don't want me there by your side
That you don't want me there in your life

Refr.

Oooh, that's right
Let's take a break, try to put it aside
Oooh, that's right
You know that darkness always turns into light
Oooh, that's right

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger kris said...

so. jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home