Crazy-ass family

You just can't make this stuff up

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Spring Fever

The weather has been gorgeous! It's been so warm that I've delighted in walking to the mailbox sans jacket. The sun warms my skin and puts a skip in my step.
On Sunday morning, we awoke to the sun again. Caleb was all smiles and was still basking in the afterglow of a raucous and activity-filled birthday. Liam was slightly grumpy as a result of his continuing quest for teeth, but eager to crawl and stand and yell and have copious amounts of baby fun.
Aidan was warm. Hot, even. Too much sun, you ask? Nope, he hadn't even been outside. It couldn't be a fever! Surely not! He had just gotten over a fever.
Hmmm.
Tylenol was administered and the day was lovely. My guilt-filled mind kept flashing back to Friday, though. Friday, when I was concerned about leaving the boys at daycare because the caregiver's son was home with a cough and fever. Friday, when I said, "maybe I should keep the baby at least..." and Jim laughed. And the caregiver assured me that all would be well.
Friday, when I didn't listen to my instincts.
Monday, Liam did wonderfully at daycare. I remarked to the caregiver that Aidan had had a fever the day before but that he seemed perfectly fine that day. She glanced at her son, who was still home from school. When I picked the boys up early that afternoon, Aidan was excited to pick Jim up from work and to get some ice cream.
As we arrived at the mall, he remarked, "Mom, I'm tired."
My stomach dropped. Aidan...my three-year old son who cries piteously and without fail at nap time and bed time...was saying - voluntarily - that he was tired.
I touched his head.
Hmmmmm.
"Do you want some ice cream honey?"
"No."
I touched his head again.
Mmm hmm.
Fever.
Tuesday, Caleb felt a little funny. I felt his head.
Hmmmmm.
Liam did, too.
ARGH.
Tuesday night, my head started to feel rather like it was going to implode.
By Wednesday, I was wishing it would just get it over with and implode already. Tylenol and Ibuprophen did not touch it.
Appropriately, the sun has vanished and our windows reveal gloomy, cloud-filled skies. The wind moans. The rain falls relentlessly.
Today is much the same. Caleb, Aidan, Liam: fever, fever, fever. Me: nauseating headache. Windows: gray skies, rain.
But guess what? Tomorrow begins the long weekend! The long, chocolate-filled weekend (during which we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus, of course!). And I bet the sun will come out! And the fevers will break! And this headache will go away!
Either that, or my head will implode.
And whichever happens, I will have relief!

7 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack, I had that. Headache and occassional fevers for 6 freakin' days. Not a good time, yet not really sick enough to stay home and sleep.

I hope that your Easter is healthy and happy.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Diana said...

"The caregiver assured me all would be well" Demon words. When you say all will be well, all will not be well. Murphy's Law? or somebody's law anyway...
Hope everything is better!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Feel better, soon!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Odd Mix said...

Here's hoping for no implosions.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

That would make for interesting basket filling, but . . . I'm hoping you all feel better soon!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger TreeBob said...

lol Brooke! :)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can I rub it in that I live in Florida?

You can say a lot of bad things about this state - and I mean A LOT - but when I read about people up north enjoying a jacket-free walk to their mailbox on the same day I'm swimming in my 87 degree pool, I remember why I live here. :)

Hope you all feel better!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home